dear teenagers, mom doesn’t even have a clue.

Dear Teenagers,

So I have two of you to deal with. You guys are the loves of my life. I know sometimes you look to me for answers, advice, support, food, love and all that stuff. I’m here for you, I’ll give you everything I’ve got. But you know what? Sometimes I just don’t even have a clue. You know what I mean?

It’s difficult to keep up with this fast-changing, hell-of-a-life we’re living. I’ll always do my best for you. It may take me a day to get back to you with a valid answer. But you can bet I’m doing the research, questioning my answer, and giving you the best I’ve got! Because that’s what parents do, they do their best, even when they don’t have a clue.

I was 15 years old once. Yeah things were different then, way different. But the emotional stuff is the same, and I have lots of practice there.  So learn from my mistakes, and if that’s not possible, put the brakes on before you make as many as I did.

I can tell you what I’ve learned about love, heartbreak, rejection, crushes, you know, all that stuff. It’s good, it’s bad, but whatever you do, don’t put up a wall. If there’s one thing I learned from my Dad, it’s by putting up that wall, you may keep out pain and rejection, but you also keep out love.

So there you have it teenagers. Just my two cents worth.

Love,

Mom

sunset rainbow

6 Comments

• Elly says:

?? Great post!

• Edna Williams says:

My sons are grown, and I lost my daughter at 21 to a car accident. Those teenage years were tough, but I’d give anything to have them back! Thanks for the post!

• Linda Manns Linneman says:

Such a great article. So many things have changed since I was a teenager. Most of it I don’t think is for the better. We do the best we can with what we have and pray God directs us. It sounds like you have it together. Thank you for sharing

• Rebecca says:

What a beautiful post. Thanks for sharing, everything is so spot on and true.

• Dotty J Boucher says:

I remember saying this to my teens, I think they think back on it and say wow! mom you was right, but I am glad that we where able to share..

• Barrie says:

SO true! My teen will be starting college in the fall and I KNOW I’ve done all I can to guide her to be the best person she can be…now it’s up to her.